Thursday, June 12, 2014

Book Review: Murder Complex (The Murder Complex #1)

Thursday, June 12, 2014
Title: Murder Complex ( The Murder Complex #1)
Author: Lindsay Cummings
Genre/s: Young Adult, Dystopia,
Released Date: June 10, 2014
Add to Goodreads TBR List

Synopsis:

An action-packed, blood-soaked, futuristic debut thriller set in a world where the murder rate is higher than the birthrate. For fans of Moira Young’s Dust Lands series, La Femme Nikita, and the movie Hanna.

Meadow Woodson, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been trained by her father to fight, to kill, and to survive in any situation, lives with her family on a houseboat in Florida. The state is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organization that tracks the population with precision.

The plot starts to thicken when Meadow meets Zephyr James, who is—although he doesn’t know it—one of the MC’s programmed assassins. Is their meeting a coincidence? Destiny? Or part of a terrifying strategy? And will Zephyr keep Meadow from discovering the haunting truth about her family?

Action-packed, blood-soaked, and chilling, this is a dark and compelling debut novel by Lindsay Cummings.
My Thoughts:

I don't understand Meadow. She sometimes act out of her character and it made me question her believability. She always say that she will do everything for her family, she even killed someone just to give her family an additional ration of food. Yet when she saw Zephyr, a Ward she barely know, who was losing a lot of blood from cutting himself, she gave away all her Creds (which is not so much but is still equivalent to a day's worth of ration) plus donated her blood to save him. I don't know if it's impulse or just pure stupidity but whichever it is, I don't think it's worth figuring out.

Zephyr is a certified masochist. When Meadow flipped him when he snuck up on her, he said he might fall in love with her. And when she talked back to him, he said she's beautiful. It appears like he is attracted to girls who inflict physical and emotional pain to him. And for someone who knows how dangerous their world is and for someone who see the results of violence everyday, Meadow and Zephyr seems to easily trust each other. It felt so unrealistic to me.

Also, another reason why I did not finish this, is the insta-love. Yes, you heard it right. Insta-freaking-love. And it was the most unromantic love at first sight you can ever imagine. This was the scenario: the guy is sobbing in front of someone else's tombstone of some sort, saying "I'm sorry". Then out of nowhere, the girl beside him, gave him a flower and said "I'm sorry, too" then she turn around and ran. From then on the guy can't stop thinking about the girl and the girl can't forget the guy. It doesn't make any sense right? If there is an opposite of meet-cute, then that would probably be it. Their insta-love is making me puke. I kid you not, it's unbearable. I'm sorry to say but the romance ruined it for me.

Overall, it wasn't a good read. I made it halfway through the story before I finally gave up. I will not recommend this.

My Rating
Books for YA! © 2015