Friday, May 17, 2013

Book Review: Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)

Friday, May 17, 2013


Title: Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)
Author: Laurie Boyle Crompton
Genre/s: Young Adult, New Adult, Contemporary, Romance

Synopsis: 

Blaze is tired of spending her life on the sidelines, drawing comics and feeling invisible. She's desperate for soccer star Mark to notice her. And when her BFF texts Mark a photo of Blaze in sexy lingerie, it definitely gets his attention. After a hot date in the back of her minivan, Blaze is flying high, but suddenly Mark's feelings seem to have been blasted by a freeze-ray gun, and he dumps her. Blaze gets her revenge by posting a comic strip featuring uber-villain Mark the Shark. Mark then retaliates by posting her "sext" photo, and, overnight, Blaze goes from Super Virgin Girl to Super Slut. That life on the sidelines is looking pretty good right about now...

My Thoughts:



Before I will start this review, I would like to say first that this book tackles a lot of mature issues and have some explicit languages that is definitely not suitable for kids.  

When I started reading Blaze I wasn't expecting anything at all. I just know that, base on the blurb, this has a bit of comics element to it and that is enough for me to try this book. To say that I was surprised with this is an understatement. I think, what's more suitable word for it is that, I am amazed. Blaze is a nice contemporary YA/NA novel that will open your eyes to what the present generation is really going through today.

Blaze is your typical teenager with a talent in drawing and a passion for comics. She acts as a soccer mom for her brother and his friend, driving them to and fro to their soccer practice. While waiting, she often reads her comic books, draw and fantasize about the coach of the soccer team named Mark. She and Mark go to the same school but they’re not acquainted to each other until Mark asked for a ride home. And there begins the Adventure of Blazing Goddess as she explore the world of teenage hormone, bad decisions, cyber scandals, gossipmongers and judgmental society.

I’m going to be honest, Blaze is not perfect. She often annoys me because she was shallow and gullible at times. She was a poor judge of character. And she falls in love easily with the wrong guy.  But no matter how naïve she was, I still liked her flawed character. She's very realistic, in my opinion, has a great sense of humor and she was so full of passion with what she's doing. I actually admire her because I know how hard it is to be ostracized and bullied by people. And I can see how much she wanted to give up but she never did and for that I applaud her.

“Don’t let getting called names change you into something you’re not.”

The other characters where also cool. Especially Josh a.k.a The Nuclear Dynamo, he was the sweetest brother ever. He was very protective over Blaze and I can feel how much he cared for her sister. I also love his soccer friends; Ajay (the Ozone Destroyer), Dylan (the Colossal Hormone), and Andrew (Galactic Goalie). They’re so full of personality and they really cracked me up with their silly antics. They made this book really fun.

Overall, this book will make you realized how one tiny rumor could cause a lot of damage to someone’s reputation. So think first and beware of your actions. 

My Rating

Books for YA! © 2015