Sunday, June 09, 2013

Book Review: A Shade of Vampire

Sunday, June 09, 2013

Title: A Shade of Vampire
Author: Bella Forrest
Genre/s: Young Adult, Paranormal Fantasy, Romance

Synopsis:

On the evening of Sofia Claremont's seventeenth birthday, she is sucked into a nightmare from which she cannot wake.

A quiet evening walk along a beach brings her face to face with a dangerous pale creature that craves much more than her blood. 

She is kidnapped to an island where the sun is eternally forbidden to shine.

An island uncharted by any map and ruled by the most powerful vampire coven on the planet.

She wakes here as a slave, a captive in chains.

Sofia's life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn when she is the one selected out of hundreds of girls to join the harem of Derek Novak, the dark royal Prince.

Despite his addiction to power and obsessive thirst for her blood, Sofia soon realizes that the safest place on the island is within his quarters, and she must do all within her power to win him over if she is to survive even one more night.

Will she succeed? ...or is she destined to the same fate that all other girls have met at the hands of the Novaks?

My Thoughts: 

A Shade of Vampire by Bella Forrest is a surprisingly entertaining and captivating novel about a strong-willed 17 year-old girl who was imprisoned to be the harem of the most powerful vampire prince of this generation.  If you think, this is another Twilight story then you’re terribly wrong.

On the night of her 17th birthday, Sofia Claremont was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Her best friend, Ben Hudson forgot about her birthday so instead of enjoying and celebrating the night with him, she was at the beach taking a stroll and wallowing in misery.  There she met Lucas and within 24 hours her life changed from being a normal upcoming senior high school student to being a captive in an island where it was always night.

I've heard a lot of good reviews about this book from other book bloggers that is why when the author contacted me to review it, I immediately accepted it. And I was amazed!  This book had my attention from start to finish and I didn't stop reading until I finished it.

Sofia Claremont was nothing like those necrophiliac teenage girls who weren't afraid to become a vampire’s meal. She was realistic and normal and she showed all the logical reaction a person would have done if they meet a blood thirsty vampire. The first time she tried to escape, she was unsuccessful and almost became the lunch of two hungry vampire guards. But her fear regarding that incident didn't discourage her, it actually made her more determined to get out of that place. Her perseverance and bravery to beat the odds made me root for her.

On the other hand, I thought at first that Derek Novak's reaction to Sofia when they first met was insta-love which irks me. But as I read further, I realized that it was more of bewilderment rather than love at first sight so I wasn't bothered with him anymore.  Derek also showed me that he still has a bit of humanity and a lot of vulnerability which made him more realistically human. I sympathized with him when he told the origin of how he became a vampire and the prophecy about him. The expectation of the other vampires and the responsibility that was placed in his shoulder was too heavy for him to bear.

The alternating POV between Sofia and Derek made the story more interesting because it gave me the advantage to spy on both of their thoughts in the scenes. It makes me feel more involved in the story than the normal narration.

Overall, A Shade of Vampire was a really good novel that will satisfy you’re vampire cravings. I highly recommend this for all the paranormal lovers out there.
My Rating

Books for YA! © 2015