Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Book Review: The Originals

Wednesday, December 11, 2013
Title: The Originals 
Author: Cat Patrick
Genre/s: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Contemporary, Stand Alone
Released Date: May 1, 2013
Buy on Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Book Depository

Synopsis:

Ella, Betsey and I look like sisters: triplets, you might think.

But that's not what we are at all.

We are clones in hiding. We split our lives and exist as one person in the outside world. And we've always been happy.

But now I've fallen in love ... and that changes everything.

Because to let love in, I need to be allowed to be Me.
My Thoughts:

"I think Mum believes that we’re content or at least satisfied with the situation. And I guess until recently, we have been. I have been…maybe because I didn’t know any better. But now I know things need to change… I just don’t know how."

Three identical clones living a single identity. Ella, Lizzie and Betsey used to live as triplets when they were young but now, they're sharing one identity as a 17 year old girl named Elizabeth Best. They divided the day equally - Ella took the morning classes until lunch time, Lizzie took the afternoon and Betsey took the evening. But they are growing-up teens and sharing a life could only go as far as dividing the school schedule because when two of the clones liked two separate guys, problems arise and complications ensue.

When I first heard about this book, I was immediately intrigued by it. I mean, how can you not? It doesn’t just have one but three clones in it and it has a really interesting premise that screamed must-read. I was lucky enough to receive a review copy of it and the moment I started reading it, I was completely engrossed.

Ella, Lizzie and Betsey might look exactly alike physically but they are totally different when it comes to emotional and psychological aspects. Ella was the brainy one, with straight As in her test scores. She's bossy, most of the time. Lizzie was the creative one, she doesn't do well in Math subjects but she excels in writing. She's very observant and inquisitive. Betsey was the free-spirited one, she took the night shift taking college courses, part-time job and cheering at night games. She was juggling a lot of stuff in her shift but she never complains, not even once.

I can only imagine how hard it must be for them to share a single identity. I mean the fact that they are not allowed to show their individuality and personality through fashion, hairstyle or other medium of self-expression is a clear oppression of freedom, let alone the restrictions and rules that they have to obey. The more I know them, the more curious I am about their situation. I wanted to see them live, normally. And when the problem with David and Sean came up, it made me more eager for them to have their freedom.

"Until then, please know that I love you more than anything. More than living. And though some of you may still not believe this, I love you more than science."

When they found out the truth about their mother and why they were hiding, the over-protectiveness of their mother all made sense. She’s just doing it to protect them and I can understand that but that doesn’t mean I agree with her decisions or methods in doing it.

Overall, it was a fast-paced read from beginning to end, with lots of mystery and lies that kept me guessing and wondering what will happen next. If you like contemporary mysteries with teen romance and a tiny bit of science fiction then you would probably like this book.

My Rating
*A review copy was provided by the publisher in exchange of honest review. (Thanks, Hardie Grant Egmont!)
Books for YA! © 2015