Thursday, October 08, 2015

Book Review: Learning to Fall

Thursday, October 08, 2015



Title: Learning to Fall
Author: Mina V. Esguerra
Genre/s: NA, Contemporary Romance
Add to Goodreads
Buy at Amazon
Synopsis:

Go out with a stereotypical romance novel hero WHO ISN’T YOUR TYPE.”

Avid reader and art student Steph is participating in a monthly blog challenge to Live Like Fiction, and this was the task for October. When Grayson, former co-captain of her university rugby team, walks into her class, she knows it’s meant to be – she has to go out with this guy. Even if she’s never been attracted to big, hunky, athletic types. With Grayson’s “player” reputation off the field, Steph thinks he’ll be good for one date that’ll be worth blogging about, and that’s it.

But you know how it goes: Soon, it becomes more than just one date – and Steph and Grayson are caught up in “living like fiction.” How long can they keep playing their roles before reality steps in?
My Review

I knew I will break my blogging hiatus one of these days. But what I didn’t expect was to break it for a book whose protagonist was a book blogger in a hiatus. It was ironic in the most awesome way. Steph made me realize how much I missed book blogging and everyone in this community.

Art student and book blogger, Steph Bennett started her story with a blog post telling all her followers and blogger friends why she decided to go on an indefinite hiatus but will still continue Sera’s monthly blog challenge called “Live Like Fiction.”

The October challenge was to go out with a stereotypical romance novel hero who isn’t her type. So when she saw Grayson Price, rugby player, stripping to pose for the art students she was supervising, she knew she have to ask him out. Physically, he was the stereotypical athletic alpha male hero with tattoo and not at all her type. Or so she thought. But when one date led to another, she knew this was already beyond the monthly blog challenge.

Steph embodied the struggle of a book blogger who loved to blog but has to put it on hold because she has to sort her life, first. It was easy for me to understand her, empathize with her, and relate to her because I’ve been there. (I think, I still am) And it was kind of weird, because we often read books to become someone we’re not. But it’s different this time. Steph and I were sort of the same. She’s just in a different situation and has Grayson with her.

Speaking of which, if I was doing the Live like Fiction challenge, I’d probably pick a mysterious bad boy or a musician. I wouldn’t pick Grayson because he is my type. He was definitely a book boyfriend material. The moment Steph saw him, I knew she was a goner. Not liking him is impossible. But he’s the type of guy that wants a lot of things. He tries to juggle three things at once and the people around him, even his parents, thinks he can’t handle all that responsibility. Steph gets him and believes in him that he can do whatever he put his mind into. 

And oh, I have to mention Delilah, one of Steph's blogger friend, in this review because she's the epitome of fangirling. I can't help but giggle while reading their convo. And she's the voice of reason to Steph whenever she's making excuses about not going for what she wants. She's definitely a memorable character. 

Learning to Fall is a awesome read with a lot of fun, steam and swoon-worthy moments. I'm a bit unsatisfied with the ending, though. I wish it showed what happened to Steph's book-inspired painting exhibit. I want know how her efforts paid off. But other than that, I don't have any problem with it.  I haven't read the other Addison Hill novels before this (please, don't shoot me) but I'll make sure I'll binge read it, one of this days. 

My Rating

*An electronic review copy was provided by the author for an honest review. (Thanks, Mina!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts about my post. :D

Books for YA! © 2015