Sunday, September 08, 2013

Author's Slambook: Ryan Graudin, author of All That Glows

Sunday, September 08, 2013



Author Bio
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads


Ryan Graudin grew up by the sea, surrounded by oaks draped in Spanish moss. She was perfectly content there until her mother dragged her on a trip to London. Wanderlust has plagued her ever since; an ailment she sates with heavy doses of traveling and writing. Her first novel,* All That Glows,* is the direct recipe of both. Ryan currently lives in Charleston, South Carolina with her husband, and is always searching for the next adventure. You can visit her online at ryangraudin.blogspot.com or on Twitter (@ryangraudin).
Favorites
1. What is your favorite color? Like my character Emrys, my favorite color is actually green! It's so bright and vibrant and life-giving. Crayola Jungle Green is my favorite shade.
2. Favorite food? Thai food is at the top of my list. Tom Kha Gai, which is a coconut chicken soup, is my absolute favorite! I live off of it whenever I'm over there.
3. Favorite movie of all time? Ooh, that's tough. Probably Serenity. Still holding out for a sequel on that one.
4. Favorite song? This one's hard because it literally changes every week, but if I had to go by my most played on my iTunes it would be Time by Hans Zimmer on the Inception soundtrack. (It's got about 1200 plays.)
5. Favorite book of all time? Another toughie! Probably all seven Harry Potter books (it counts because it's one big story, right?!).

All about Writing
1. How did your interest in writing originate?
I've always been drawn to story telling, but I think my interest in writing novels really took off after I read Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine. I finished the book and wanted more! There was no sequel, so I decided to write my own story. Thus is started.

2. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I waked up around 9:30 or 10 and generally work until about 2:30 or 3. After that I take a break for the evening and then work anytime from around 8 or 9 to midnight or 1 in the morning. A typical workday, just shifted!

3. Do you work with outline or just write?
It depends on the project! ALL THAT GLOWS was written completely off the cuff. So was THE WALLED CITY. But the sequel to ALL THAT GLOWS was based off of an outline, as is the duology I have coming out from Little, Brown in 2015 and 2016. I like pantsing a lot more, but sometimes I don't have the wiggle room timewise!

4. What was the hardest part in writing your book? The easiest?
The easiest? Making a Pinterest board! The hardest? Everything else. I love writing and storytelling, but it's hard work! I think one of the most difficult things for me when I was writing ALL THAT GLOWS was waking up early (I was a teacher, so I got up before school every morning and worked on it for an hour before I went to school). I'm not a morning person, so it was a huge sacrifice in that regard!

5. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I play with my wolf-dog, Raiden and travel the world with my husband! Also, I love thrift-store shopping, photography and going to the beach.

Finish the sentence
1. The difference between fiction and reality is the smell of an inky page.
2. Research is what I'm doing when I'm "on vacation" or traveling. Any experience can be research!
3. I can write better when I have my mug of coffee next to me.
4. Sleep is an excellent way to recharge my brain.
5. A room without a book is probably not a room in my house.

Books

Title: All That Glows
Genre/s: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance
Publisher: HarperTeen
Expected Publication: February 11, 2014
Add to Goodreads TBR list
Pre-order: Amazon | Barnes&Nobles | Book Depo

Synopsis:

Emrys—a fiery, red-headed Fae—always embraced her life in the Highlands, far from the city’s draining technology, until she’s sent to London to rejoin the Faery Guard. But this isn’t any normal assignment—she’s sent to guard Prince Richard: Britain’s notorious, partying bad boy and soon-to-be King. The prince’s careless ways and royal blood make him the irresistible for the dark spirits that feed on mortals. Sweet, disheveled, and alive with adventure—Richard is one charge who will put Emrys’s magic and heart to the test.

When an ancient force begins preying on the monarchy, Emrys must hunt through the London’s magical underworld, facing down Banshees, Black Dogs and Green Women to find the one who threatens Richard’s life. In this chaos of dark magic, palace murders and paparazzi, Emrys finds herself facing an impossible choice. For despite all her powers, Emrys has discovered a force that burns brighter than magic: love.
Books for YA! © 2015