Wednesday, October 17, 2012

ARC Review: Poltergeeks

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Title: Poltergeeks
Author: Sean Cummings
Genre/s: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance

Synopsis:

15-year-old Julie Richardson is about to learn that being the daughter of a witch isn't all it's cracked up to be. When she and her best friend, Marcus, witness an elderly lady jettisoned out the front door of her home, it's pretty obvious to Julie there's a supernatural connection.


In fact, there's a whisper of menace behind increasing levels of poltergeist activity all over town. After a large-scale paranormal assault on Julie's high school, her mother falls victim to the spell Endless Night. Now it's a race against time to find out who is responsible or Julie won't just lose her mother's soul, she'll lose her mother's life.


My Thoughts:

Poltergeeks is a querky, action-packed, ass-kicking novel that is hard to put down.

From the very beginning, I was immediately captured by the story. The level of excitement that I feel in the first 20 pages was off the roof. There's nothing more awesome than a fight scene between a witch and a poltergeist in the start of a novel.

And as I continue reading the book, I had a lot of expectations due to the fact that this started with a BANG! and I'm hoping it would end in a KABOOM! I would be really disappointed if the tension doesn't escalate. But luckily, no disappointment occurred and I was one happy reader.

When Julie was attacked in her school, her mother came to rescue her but she was knocked down by a dark spell and Julie only had 2 days to find whose responsible to the attack and bring her mother back. Her life drastically change within those days. From being an teenage apprentice witch, she toughened up and became a determined Shadowcull that her parents will be proud of.

I really love Julie. She's a realistic character that has the right amount of vulnerability and strength that made her an effective heroine. I also like Marcus. He's caring, thoughtful and supportive towards Julie and he really likes her. A lot. I love how the romance unfolds between them and I was really touch by Marcus' letter to Julie. It was so romantic.

Poltergeeks will take you to a fast-paced, ghostbusting, thriller ride that you will never forget.

My Rating
*I recieved this copy from the publisher through Netgalley. 
Books for YA! © 2015