Sunday, October 28, 2012

Book Review: Shakespeare vs Lovecraft

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Title: Shakespeare vs Lovecraft
Author: D.R. Obrien
Genre/s: Horror Comedy

Synopsis: 

In the same putrid vein as Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Shakespeare v. Lovecraft slithers hideously onto the literary mash-up scene, whispering of cosmic horrors and eldritch tales whilst espousing sweet soliloquys and profoundly contemplating mankind’s place in the universe. 

Prospero, driven dangerously insane by prolonged exposure to the dread Necronomicon, makes a terrible pact with the titanic alien beast known only as Cthulhu. Now only his enchantress daughter Miranda and a handful of history’s greatest heroes are all that stand between humanity and blasphemous eternal subjugation.

It’s a bloodbath of Shakespearean proportions as Cthulhu and his eldritch companions come at our protagonists from all manner of strange geometric angles in a hideous and savage battle for supremacy.

This horror-comedy novella of 36,000 words will seize you in its clammy grip and not release you until you have gone positively mad with delight! Witness all this and more:

Histrionic Heroes vs. Tentacled Terrors!!! Endless Soliloquys vs. Unnatural Silences!!!

Romeo vs. Mi-Go!!! England’s Royal Beasts vs. A Shoggoth!!!

The Author vs. Iambic Pentameter!!!

My Thoughts:

From the very first time I saw the cover of Shakespeare vs Lovecraft, I was immediately intrigue by the book. The quirkiness of the cover was so eye catching and after I read the synopsis I thought, Shakespeare's character meets Lovecraft's monsters? Hmmm, that sounds interesting. Fortunately, Mr. O'brien gave me the opportunity to read his book. And boy, it was a riot!

This is the first time I read a mash-up and I totally loved it! I'm a bit of a fan of Shakespeare's play since high school so I know most of his famous character. It is so refreshing to see Romeo, Miranda and King and Queen Macbeth in just one book, fighting side by side to defeat the the atrocious monsters of Lovecraft. 

This book is not a clash of Shakespeare's and Lovecraft's works, it's the fusion of their works. O'brien flawlessly merged this two different literary world and created a funny and horrendous adventure of cosmic proportion. 

I think everyone would enjoy this book even if they don't know anything about Shakespeare or Lovecraft's work. It's definitely an enjoyable and entertaining read. 

My Rating
*I received a copy of this from the author for an honest review.
Books for YA! © 2015