Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Book Review: The Goose Girl

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Title: The Goose Girl
Author: Shannon Hale
Genre/s: Young Adult, Fantasy, Mystery

Synopsis

Anidori-Kiladra Talianna Isilee, Crown Princess of Kildenree, spends the first years of her life under her aunt's guidance learning to communicate with animals. As she grows up Ani develops the skills of animal speech, but is never comfortable speaking with people, so when her silver-tongued lady-in-waiting leads a mutiny during Ani's journey to be married in a foreign land, Ani is helpless and cannot persuade anyone to assist her.


Becoming a goose girl for the king, Ani eventually uses her own special, nearly magical powers to find her way to her true destiny. Shannon Hale has woven an incredible, original and magical tale of a girl who must find her own unusual talents before she can become queen of the people she has made her own.



My Thoughts:

Before I can give my review, I would like to confess that I have never read nor heard the fairytale, the Goose Girl of the Grimm Brothers so I don't have any idea whatsoever about the difference of this book to the original. Which I think, it wouldn't matter but I feel like I need to say that.

Okay so here it goes.

Anidori-Kilandra Talianna Isilee, was the Crown Princess of Kildenree, who was betrayed by her lady-in-waiting and was forced to hide herself in order for her to stay alive. She became a normal citizen of Bayern while she was hiding. She experienced how to work for money, she  experienced being hungry and she even tended the king's geese just to survive. And in her experience as an animal worker, she made a few friends(human and animals) who helped her regain her rightful place as the betrothed Princess to the Prince of Bayern.

I just can't put this book down. It's like my fingers and my eyes are glued to the pages. I was so engrossed as to what will happen to "Ani/Isi's" life and how she will reclaim her throne. The whole adventure was really amazing. The conflict became more and more complicated as the story progresses and I'm commending Shannon Hale for giving me such an awesome read. I didn't expected the ending at all. I mean, yes, I know that it will be a happy ever, after I expected that. But what's remarkable in this book is the sequence of how the "happy ever after" happened.

And the characters were jumping right out of the page. Everyone just stood out for me but my favorite character of all is Razo and Enna. I'm also inlove in Isi and Geric's love story. It's not your cheesy, "fairytale-ish" romantic, for me it was realistic and it is happening in our era(except for the prince and princess title thingy)

I highly recommend this book to everyone. If you love fairytales with a happy ever after ending then this is the best book for you.

My Rating:
Books for YA! © 2015