Wednesday, July 10, 2013

ARC Review: Adela Arthur and the Creator's Clock

Wednesday, July 10, 2013
Title: Adela Arthur and the Creator's Clock (The Chronicles of A #1)
Author: Judyann McCole
Publication Date: July 26, 2013
Genre/s: Young Adult/ Middle Grade, Fantasy, Romance

Synopsis:

To Whom Ever This May Concern;

I wish I could tell you the contents of this book were purely fictional. That I, Adela Arthur, was just a normal sixteen year old from Portland and that dragons, giants, elves and mermaids were just myths. I wish these were legends shared from crazy old grandparents to crazy old grandparents around campfires. After all, that is what I used to believe.

I never would have thought they lived on the other side of our mirrors in a world called Cielieu. But they do…

I never would have thought there were humans, better known as Volsin that lived among them with the ability to create light from a single thought. But there are…

I never would have thought I was one of them… But I am…

I am the last Arthur and I was brought to the human world after a Volsin, filled with greed, began to strip the light from our kind.

The human world was supposed to be a safe haven… but he’s found us and the only way to stop him is to go back to Cielieu and begin training as a student in the Elpida Castle of Light.

Like I said I wish the contents of this book were purely fictional and not my life…

ADELA ARTHUR


My Thoughts:



Adela Arthur and the Creators Clock is an exciting fantasy novel full of adventures, adorable characters and magical creatures. Enter this enchanting world of Cielieu and be captivated by it's brilliant light.

At first glance, one would probably think that Adela Arthur was an ordinary teenage girl who lived with her blind grandfather because her parents died in an accident. A simple girl who was labeled as an outcast along with her geek best friend, Hector but there's always more to this than meets the eye. Within 48 hours after Adela's sixteenth birthday, she uncovered a secret that will not just change her life but also of Hector's.

"'If a cannon ball has a mass of 150g and is shot from a muzzled cannon toward you with a velocity of 960 m/s, what is its kinetic energy?' What did it matter if she were dead? Who in their right mind would stand there wanting to know how much kinetic energy was behind a cannon ball? Move. Problem solved; you're alive and it did not matter what the kinetic energy was"

Adela is an easy-to-relate-with character. She's amiable and super funny. And she immediately got my sympathy especially when it comes to solving mathematical problems relating to physics. Anyway, she's not the perfect character or the smartest for that matter, she's actually stubborn and impulsive but she has a lot of great traits too that is worth admiring. She is full of heart, she's a fighter and she's a really good friend.

Jeremy Lamorak was really hot in more ways than one. He strikes me as the mysterious-bad-boy-snob type and I really dig that kind of attitude. His ability to experience memories is useful and quite crafty at best. I'll definitely ask for his help whenever I needed to relieve a memory of mine. Just saying.

On the other hand, I already get what Hector's character will be. It's evident from the first few pages that he's going to be the secretly-in-love-with-his-bestfriend bestfriend and I immediately gave him a silent prayer hoping that he would find his perfect match in the course of this series and I hope that he doesn't end up dying. I really like him because he's a really nice guy and he always have Adela's back.

The turn of events was really well-paced and the imagery of the world of Cielieu was impressive. Also, the plot became more and more interesting as the story progresses especially when they were finally in Elpida Castle of Lights. It actually reminds me of Harry Potter, with the 4 classification of groups and the villain here was like he-who-must-not-be-named too. They also have their own national sports called Natorbi but it's super different from Quidditch. Anyway, the big betrayal and revelation in the end was really surprising. I didn't see that one coming.

Overall, it was a really exciting read. It's a promising new book and it's perfect for middle grade, young adult and those who are young at heart. 


My Rating

Books for YA! © 2015