Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Book Review: Ink (The Paper Gods #1)

Wednesday, July 31, 2013
Title: Ink (The Paper Gods #1)
Author: Amanda Sun
Genre/s: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy, Mythology, Romance

Synopsis:

A MAGIC MIGHTIER THAN ANY SWORD

A DESTINY THAT CAN’T BE DENIED

Katie Greene is lost in the wake of her mum's death. Sent to Japan, she meets gorgeous but aloof artist Tomohiro, whose tough attitude intrigues and scares her. Then things get really strange. When they're near each other, Tomohiro's drawings start to come to life…

Soon the wrong people begin to ask questions, and Katie and Tomohiro must risk everything to protect the truth.




My Thoughts:


The moment I read Ink's blurb being set in Japan and was infused with Japanese mythology, it already drew me in. Plus the gorgeous-looking cover I knew I have to read it. I had a lot of expectation for this book but I was really disappointed because it was a bit underwhelming.

After her mother's death, Katie Greene went to Japan to stay with her aunt Diane and with little knowledge of Japan's culture and language, it took Katie a few months of adapting and getting used to. Soon she met Yuu Tomohiro, a third year kendo star, in a really awkward time(while he was breaking up with his girlfriend.) Katie heard and saw everything especially when his drawing moved. She knew she wasn't hallucinating and she's determined to prove that.

I actually read Shadow before I read Ink to get a few glimpse of what their backgrounds were before they met. And I have to say, I love Katie then. She's realistic for someone who's grieving for her mother's death and I understand all her predicaments. But something had change to her when she met Tomohiro and I feel like it was so out of character. For someone so new to a school it was a bit weird for her to challenge someone she barely knew and accidentally, flash her undies, in the process. I also don't get her obsession towards him. She knew he was bad news but she can keep on stalking him. She's acting like another Bella Swan and it was super annoying.

Yuu Tomohiro, on the other hand, reminded me of Domyoji Tsukasa from Hana Yori Dango with the ability of Sai from Naruto Shippuden. He was the classic Japanese delinquent and jerk with a heart of gold type of character in animes. He has the I-don't-give-a-shit attitude but deep inside, he's a really sensitive and caring guy.

And then there's Jun who was always at the right place at the right time. He reminds me of Eriol Hiirazigawa from Cardcaptor Sakura because they were both friendly and nice but actually they have a hidden motive. Jun is the kind of character who you can't decide whether he's a friend or a foe. But I guess, we will see who he really is as this series progresses.

Anyway, I really like how the kami was incorporated in this story. The idea of drawing who comes to life amazes me. The characters, well, not so much because most of them sticks to their character stereotype/archetype. And as far as the story goes, the setting was beautiful, the plot was okay but the romance is a bit forced.

Overall, it was an okay read, though, I expected more from it. If you want to experience a Twilight-ish lovestory set in Japan, then I will recommend this to you.

My Rating 

Books for YA! © 2015