Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Author's Slambook: Leila Sales, author of This Song Will Save Your Life

Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Author Bio

Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Leila Sales (www.leilasales.com) is the author of the novels Mostly Good Girls, Past Perfect, and This Song Will Save Your Life. She grew up outside of Boston, Massachusetts, and graduated with a degree in psychology from the University of Chicago. Much like the characters in This Song Will Save Your Life, Leila regularly stays up too late and listens to music too loud. When she’s not writing, she spends her time thinking about sleeping, kittens, chocolate, and the meaning of life. But mostly chocolate. Leila lives and writes in Brooklyn, New York, and works in children's book publishing. Follow her @LeilaSalesBooks
Favorites
1. What is your favorite color? Purple
2. Favorite food? Chocolate
3. Favorite movie of all time? Waking Life
4. Favorite song? I have too many!
5. Favorite book of all time? I have too many of these, too! These are not fair questions!

All about Writing
1. How did your interest in writing originate?
I've always loved stories. I've wanted to be a professional writer since I was five years old and learned to write.
2. What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
I try to write one full day on weekends and one weekday evening once I get home from work.

3. Do you work with outline or just write?
I try to outline. I WISH I would outline. But mostly I just write.

4. What was the hardest part in writing your book? The easiest?
The middle is the hardest! It's easy to get bored or to despair during the middle.

5. What do you like to do when you're not writing?
Go out dancing, walk around and listen to music, ride my bike and explore new neighborhoods, go out for brunch with friends.
Finish the sentence
1. The difference between fiction and reality is that there is a cohesive narrative to fiction.
2. Research is what I'm doing when I don't know enough to just make it up.
3. I can write better when I have chocolate chips nearby.
4. Sleep is an excellent way to escape your problems.
5. A room without a book is too neat.

Books
Title: This Song Will Save Your Life
Genre/s: Young Adult, Contemporary Fiction
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)
Date Published: September 17, 2013
Add to Goodreads TBR List
Buy: Amazon | Barnes&Noble | Book Depo

Synopsis:

Making friends has never been Elise Dembowski’s strong suit. All throughout her life, she’s been the butt of every joke and the outsider in every conversation. When a final attempt at popularity fails, Elise nearly gives up. Then she stumbles upon a warehouse party where she meets Vicky, a girl in a band who accepts her; Char, a cute, yet mysterious disc jockey; Pippa, a carefree spirit from England; and most importantly, a love for DJing.

Told in a refreshingly genuine and laugh-out-loud funny voice, THIS SONG WILL SAVE YOUR LIFE is an exuberant novel about identity, friendship, and the power of music to bring people together.
Books for YA! © 2015